Happy Thursday everybody!!
We’ve got a few hours until the weekend high kicks in, so a kick-booty breakfast to power through the day is an absolute must.
I discovered this recipe yesterday, because I had planned on making a fruity quinoa porridge, but could only find 1/4 cup of quinoa!! Shame on me for not restocking. So, I combined the quinoa with some cream of wheat instead.
I bought some vegan cake mix a few weeks ago, and I wish I could tell you it’s because I plan on making some pretty, decorate vegan cake some time soon… it’s not! The truth is, I love, love, love cake batter and I love, love, love pops of color in my recipes. A tablespoon of brightly colored cake mix in smoothies and oats really does the trick.
Of course, colorful, nutritious fruit and spirulina work sometimes, but what fruit tastes like a vanilla cupcake? If you know, please share below.
So, in accordance with what I was craving and what I could find in my kitchen, here’s what I came up with!
For the Quinoa:
1/4 cup dry quinoa
3/4 cup water
For the Cream of Wheat:
3 tbsp cream of wheat
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vegan cake mix
1 sliced banana
1 tbsp organic sugar
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut flakes
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp cocoa powder
- First, toast the quinoa in a pan. Simply wash the quinoa, and then dry-fry it over a medium-low flame. This step is optional, but it gives the quinoa a much nuttier flavor.
- Bring the water for the quinoa to a boil, stir in the quinoa, and reduce heat to a simmer for about ten minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent quinoa from burning.
- While the quinoa simmers, boil remaining 1 1/4 cups of water in a separate pan and stir in the cream of wheat.
- Before all the water has been absorbed, add cake mix and half the sliced banana.
- Combine the prepared quinoa and cake batter cream of wheat in a bowl and top with remaining banana, chia seeds, coconut flakes, and sugar.
- Combine the cocoa powder and milk and pour over porridge.
- Enjoy and say, ” More for moi!”