Summer is just around the corner, meaning it’s almost time for endless rows of food trucks, outdoor concerts, superfluous food hybrids at every trendy food festival, and light, refreshing desserts like these citrus chocolate mousse cups!
School may be out for the summer but Otto is with me all year so I had to add some citrus to this avocado mousse recipe to make it extra delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
Citrus Chocolate Mousse (makes 6 cups)
- 3 avocados pitted
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 4 oz. dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Half oranges, lemon, and lime, and juice the fruit. Scoop out and discard flesh. Place halved fruit in refrigerator.
- Half and remove stones from avocados.
- Place a glass bowl in the mouth of a pot or pan containing roughly an inch of hot water. Melt chocolate in the bowl, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate has melted completely, remove bowl from heat and allow chocolate to cool slightly.
- Add 1 avocado, 1/4 cup pumpkin, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp lime juice, lemon and lime zest to food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer mousse into lemon halves and refrigerate.
- Add remaining avocados, pumpkin, maple syrup, cocoa powder, orange juice, zest, cinnamon, and sea salt to food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and blend for 15-20 seconds.
- Transfer to orange halves and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before sprinkling with remaining zest and serving. The mousse can also be topped with coconut whip!